Current Affairs in Short: 21 September 2018
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will be on a four-day visit to India from October 1, 2018. He will be accompanied by a six member delegation and will be participating in the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention scheduled to be held at Rashtrapati Bhawan Cultural Centre, New Delhi on October 2, 2018.
Nitin Gadkari to review road infrastructure in NE states
• Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari will be on a two-day official visit to Shillong to review National Highways projects in the seven North Eastern states with all stakeholders.
• National Highways projects worth more than 1.5 lakh crore rupees are currently underway in the seven states.
• Gadkari will review the status of each project in the presence of the state Chief Ministers, PWD Ministers, officials of Road Transport and Highways Ministry, National Highways Authority of India, National Highways Infrastructure Development Corporation and the project contractors.
• Gadkari will also dedicate the 102-kilometre Jowai-Ratacherra section of NH-06 to the nation. The NH project, constructed at a cost of Rs 683 Crore will reduce the travel time between Jowai and Ratacherra to 2 and a half hours from the 4 hours at present.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to visit India on October 1
• United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will be on a four-day visit to India from October 1, 2018.
• He will be accompanied by a six member delegation and will be participating in the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention scheduled to be held at Rashtrapati Bhawan Cultural Centre, New Delhi on October 2, 2018.
• The event will mark the launch of Mahatma Gandhi's 150th Birth Anniversary celebrations as well as the 4th anniversary of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
• He will also attend the joint inaugural ceremony of the First Assembly of International Solar Alliance, 2nd RE-INVEST Conference and Energy Ministers Meet of Indian Ocean Rim Association of States member countries on the same day in New Delhi.
• He will call on President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi and will hold delegation level talks with External Affairs Minister.
Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu orders safety audit of all airlines, airports
• Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu ordered a safety audit of all scheduled airlines and airports, amid recent incidents related to the safety of passengers.
• The Minister has directed officials concerned to immediately prepare a comprehensive safety audit plan, which involves assessment of safety parameters of all scheduled airlines, aerodromes, flying training schools and Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul Organisations.
• The development assumes significance as it comes on a day when at least 30 passengers on a Jet Airways flight from Mumbai to Jaipur suffered nose and ear bleeding after the crew forgot to turn on a switch that controls cabin air pressure.
• The Minister also ordered a probe into the Jet Airways flight incident.
New Premier Skills phase kicks off in Kolkatta
• The hugely successful Premier Skills initiative, run by the Premier League and the British Council, is being organised in Kolkata 10 years after its first session in the city.
• The course has been jointly organised by the Sports Authority of India (SAI), the All India Football Federation (AIFF), British Council, and Premier League at Netaji Subhash Eastern Centre in Salt Lake, Kolkata.
• Forty-eight grassroots football coaches from the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and affiliated institutions across India will participate in the Premier Skills Phase 2 training course.
• The course is being conducted from the 18th to 23rd of this month.
• The selected coaches have completed the Premier Skills Phase 1 trainings in Delhi, Bengaluru and Guwahati and will now undertake the intensive training in Kolkata.
Romania will open consulate in Chennai
• Romania will open a consulate in Chennai. This was decided in a meeting between Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and Romania Prime Minister Viorica Dancila in Bucharest.
• In a joint press statement, Vice President also addressed the India-Romania Business forum.
• Naidu said that the demonetisation and the GST have been successfully implemented to help India to emerge as a modern and unified market.
• He said that the country has embarked on the path of economic transformation and this presents fresh opportunities in multiple sectors for Romanian entrepreneurs.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week