Current Affairs in Short: 22 August 2019
Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot has approved a proposal to provide 70 litres of water for free to residents of the 13 desert districts.
Rajasthan govt to give 70 litres free water everyday per person
• Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot has approved a proposal to provide 70 litres of water for free to residents of the 13 desert districts of the state.
• The state chief minister has approved the proposal of the finance department for amending the water tariff to give relief to the people of the state.
• The state government had previously approved to provide 40 litres of free water to all individuals in rural areas of the state.
Defence production target set at Rs 90,000 crore for 2019-2020
• The department of defence production set a target for 2019-20 is nearly 12 per cent higher than the production achieved in the previous financial year.
• In the financial year 2018-19, the department had produced equipment worth Rs 80,502 crore.
• Exports worth Rs 15,000 crore have been envisaged from the total quantity of equipment produced.
Microplastic in water is not harmful: WHO
• According to a new assessment by the World Health Organization, there is currently no evidence to suggest a human health risk from microplastics in drinking water.
• This report also says that irrespective of whether there are any risks to human health, there is a need to improve management of plastics and reduce plastic pollution.
• WHO report said that there is no universally agreed definition of microplastics but they are generally considered to be smaller than half a millimetre across.
Dr Ajay Kumar appointed as Defence Secretary
• Dr Ajay Kumar, a 1985-batch IAS officer of Kerala cadre, has been appointed as Defence Secretary in the Ministry of Defence.
• The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Dr Kumar who will replace Sanjay Mitra, a 1982-batch IAS officer of West Bengal cadre, upon the completion of his term.
• Also, ACC has approved the appointment of Ajay Kumar Bhalla, as Home Secretary. He is a 1982-batch IAS officer, an officer on Special Duty, Ministry of Home Affairs.