Current Affairs in Short: 5 March 2019
India nominated NITI Aayog member Ramesh Chand for the post of the new Food and Agriculture Organisation's (FAO) Director-General. The election of the Director-General is scheduled to take place in June 2019 to pick the successor to Brazilian economist Jose Graziano da Silva, who has served two terms since 2011.
Exercise Al Nagah III between India and Oman to be held
• Exercise Al Nagah III, third in the series of bilateral joint exercise between India and Oman is scheduled to be held from March 12 to 25, 2019 at Jabel Al Akhdar Mountains in Oman.
• The exercise will see both the armies exchanging expertise and experience in tactics, weapon handling and firing.
• It aims to enhance interoperability in counterterrorist operations in semi urban mountainous terrain.
• Exercise Al Nagah III follows the first two joint exercises that were held in Oman in January 2015 and India in March 2017 respectively.
• Similar exercises are also in vogue between the navies and air forces of both the nations.
India nominates NITI Aayog's Ramesh Chand to head Food and Agriculture Organisation
• India nominated NITI Aayog member Ramesh Chand for the post of the new Food and Agriculture Organisation's (FAO) Director-General.
• The election of the Director-General is scheduled to take place in June 2019 to pick the successor to Brazilian economist Jose Graziano da Silva, who has served two terms since 2011.
• The other candidates are Qu Dongyu of China, Medi Moungui of Cameroon, Catherine Geslain-Laneelle of France and Davit Kirvalidze of Georgia.
• The next head of the Rome-headquarted FAO, will be elected by a simple majority of its 194 members of the United Nations.
PM Modi lays foundation stone of Shikshan Bhavan and Vidhyarthi Bhavan
• The Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of Shikshan Bhavan and Vidhyarthi Bhavan at Annapurna Dham Trust in Adalaj, Gujarat.
• The Annapurna Dham Trust will give society the strength to ensure gender equality and prosperity for everyone.
• Remembering Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Prime Minister said that the efforts of Sardar Patel towards cooperative sector should never be forgotten.
• The Prime Minister urged the people of Gujarat to work on food processing.
• He added that such value addition would benefit both farmers and industries.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh to inaugurate 28 major infrastructure projects of CAPF
• Home Minister Rajnath Singh will inaugurate 28 major infrastructure projects of Central Armed Police Forces, Delhi Police and other Central Police Organizations in New Delhi.
• He will also lay the foundation stone for three infrastructure projects of Land Ports Authority of India.
• These projects, involving 71 non-residential buildings, over five thousand residential quarters and 34 barracks, will be constructed at a total cost of around Rs 1900 crore.
• The projects are spread across 17 States including Assam, Kerala, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Rajasthan.
Nepal Government officials join INGAF Training Course in New Delhi
• The Third group of 22 officials of Nepal's Ministry of Finance joined the training course on ‘Global Perspectives on Public Financial Management’ at the Institute of Government Accounts and Finance (INGAF) in New Delhi.
• The training is being held under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) programme of the Ministry of External Affairs.
• This is a special tailor-made training course on Public Finance Management designed at the request and requirement of Nepal's Ministry of Finance for a total of 62 officials.
• The training will enhance capabilities of these officials in global practices dealing with e-payment system, accounting & cash management, public burrowing system, and budget management.