Japanese animation director Isao Takahata dies
• Oscar-nominated Japanese animation director Isao passed away on April 5, 2018. He was 82.
• Takahata co-founded the Studio Ghibli and was best known for his work “Grave of the Fireflies”.
• Takahata's latest film 'The Tale of the Princess Kaguya earned him an Academy nomination in 2014 for best animated feature.
• Born in central Japan, Takahata started his career in animation at the Toei studio in 1959, where he met long-term collaborator Miyazaki.
RBI decides to set up Data Sciences Lab
• Reserve Bank of India decided to set up Data Sciences Lab to improve its forecasting, surveillance and early warning detection abilities.
• The lab will comprise experts and budding analysts, who are trained in Computer Science, Data Analytics, Statistics, Economics, Econometrics and Finance.
• The lab is likely to become operational by December 2018.
Khadi Store Locator App Launched
• Union Minister of State for MSME Giriraj Singh launched a mobile phone application for locating 4000 Khadi stores in the country.
• There are more than 8000 Khadistores in India, the rest of stores will also be available on the store locater by the end of month.
• The Khadi products are manufactured by about 7 lakh privately owned household units which are funded through schemes like the Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP).
TRAI moots public Wi-Fi access grid
• The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) promotes the idea of an ambitious model of a public Wi-Fi grid that aims to slash Internet access cost by 90 percent.
• The concept involves Public Data Office Providers (PDOs), similar to the PCOs of yesteryears that galvanised connectivity.
• The PDOs will be companies, or even small merchants which will be interested in providing Wi-Fi hotspots to public using either free or paid model.
NCLAT approves sale of tower and fibre business of RCom
• Reliance Communications Ltd (RCom) received the approval of the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) to proceed with the sale of its tower and fibre business.
• Earlier, NCLAT prevented RCom from selling any asset without its permission, following a legal challenge from Swedish telecoms gear maker Ericsson.
• Proceeds of the sale will be deposited with the State Bank of India.
New genes associated with IBS in women identified
• A team of researchers have identified certain DNA variants for a new effective treatment of the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), the intestinal disorder.
• Irritable bowel syndrome is the most common gastrointestinal disorder.
• More than 10 percent of the population, particularly women, suffer from recurrent symptoms including abdominal pain, gas, diarrhoea, and constipation.