Current Affairs in Short: 9 May 2022
Chief Justice of India NV Ramana administered the oath of office to Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia and Justice JP Pardiwala as Supreme Court Judges.
Government gives security clearance to Jet Airways 2.0
- The Ministry of Home Affairs gave clearance to the new promoters of Jet Airways in order to resume the commercial operations in the country.
- The Jalan-Kalrock Consortium is currently the promoter of Jet Airways. The airline was owned by Naresh Goyal and it operated its last flight on April 17, 2019.
- Jet Airways 2.0 plans on resuming its commercial flight operations in the next few months. The airline conducted a Hyderabad-Delhi positioning ferry flight on May 5. It was its first flight since 2019 when it ceased operations after it went bankrupt.
- After the successful test flight, the CEO of Jet Airways 2.0 said that it was a very emotional moment for the whole Jet Airways family.
Indian Air Force’s Rs. 35,000 crore plan to upgrade Su-30 fighter fleet put on backburner
- Amid the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine, the IAF’s plan of upgrading the fleet of its Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft has been put on the backburner for now.
- The deal for the 12 most advanced Su-30 MKI aircraft worth over Rs. 20,000 crores would also be delayed as the stakeholders will now have to add more made-in-India content in the planes as per the current government’s policy.
- The IAF was planning to upgrade 85 of their planes up to the latest standards in collaboration with Russians and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.
- The plan was to equip the Su-30 aircraft with more powerful radars and the latest electronic warfare capabilities.
Adani Group acquires franchise in upcoming UAE’s T20 League
- India’s Adani Sportsline, part of Adani Group, had made a landmark foray into the franchise cricket by acquiring the rights to own and operate a franchise in UAE’s flagship T20 League.
- Licensed by Emirates Cricket Board, the UAE T20 League is an annual event that will feature the six franchise teams competing in a 34-match event.
- Top players from all the cricket-playing countries are expected to be in the line up of different teams for the tournament.
- The league in UAE will also provide a platform and exposure to the upcoming young cricketers.
Justices JB Pardiwala, Sudhanshu Dhulia take oath as Supreme Court judges
- Chief Justice of India NV Ramana administered the oath of office to Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia and Justice JP Pardiwala as Supreme Court Judges.
- After the appointment of the two judges, the apex court will now function at its full strength of 34.
- The Supreme Court Collegium led by CJI NV Ramana had earlier recommended to the Central Government the elevation of Justices Dhulia and Pardiwala, for appointment as top court judges.
- Justice Dhulia is the second judge to be elevated from Uttarakhand High Court. Justice Dhulia is from Madanpur, a remote village located in the Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand.
EAM S. Jaishankar speaks with his Jamaican counterpart
- The External Affairs Minister of India S. Jaishankar spoke to his Jamaican counterpart Kamina J Smith.
- The ministers discussed the preparations for the historic visit of President Ram Nath Kovind to Jamaica.
- EAM was also apprised of Smith’s candidature for Commonwealth Secretary-General.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS