12 December 2017: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like Vyaas Samman 2017, Saudi Arabia lifted ban on commercial movie theatres and UN’s top 5 global cities among others.
1. Name the Hindi writer who has been selected for the Vyaas Samman 2017.
a) Mamta Kalia
b) Sugandha Seth
c) Srishti Kapoor
d) Nita Nadia
2. Name the father of Indian DNA fingerprinting who passed away recently?
a) Nitin Mathews
b) Lalji Singh
c) Suresh Prabhakar
d) Anand Mehta
3. Alappuzha has been included in top 5 global cities list by UNEP to successfully manage solid waste. It is located in which state?
4. Which Union Minister launched a public procurement portal ‘MSME Sambandh’ for MSMEs?
a) Nirmala Sitharaman
b) Suresh Prabhu
c) JP Nadda
d) Giriraj Singh
5. India has been declared free from Trachoma. Trachoma is a contagious bacterial infection of which organ?
6. Kacheguda Railway station was declared as India's first 100% energy-efficient station. Where is the Kacheguda Railway station located?
c) Andhra Pradesh
7. US President Donald Trump has directed NASA to send Americans to which extraterrestrial body?
8. Which nation has lifted its 35-year old ban on commercial movie theatres?
b) Saudi Arabia
9. The sports ministry has approved Rs 5 lakh from the National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons for the heart treatment of Kaur Singh. Singh is a Padma Shree and Arjuna awardee for his contribution to this sport.
10. The World Telugu Conference is scheduled to organised in which city?
a) New Delhi
11. The first NIC-CERT has been set up by the Union government to prevent and predict what?
b) Cyber Attacks
d) Degrading Air Quality
12. Which Indian city was listed among the UN’s top 5 global cities that have successfully managed solid waste disposal?
1. (a) Mamta Kalia
Eminent Hindi writer Mamta Kalia will be honoured with literary award Vyas Samman for year 2017 for her novel "Dukkham Sukkham" published in 2009. As prize money she will receive an amount of Rs 3.5 lakh. The award is given annually by KK Birla Foundation to a Hindi literary work published in the past 10 years. The eminent literary critic and poet Ram Vilas Sharma was the first recipient in 1991.
2. (b) Lalji Singh
Lalji Singh (70), the eminent scientist and the father of DNA fingerprinting in India, has passed away in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. He was the founder of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) & also served as its director.
3. (c) Kerala
Alappuzha, the coastal town of Kerala, has been recognised by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) as one of the five models across the world for fighting the pollution menace. It has been recognized for its decentralised waste management system. Alappuzha is often called “the Venice of East”.
4. (d) Giriraj Singh
Giriraj Singh, the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for MSME, launched a Public Procurement Portal ‘MSME Sambandh’ in New Delhi. The purpose of the portal is to monitor the implementation of the Public Procurement from MSEs by Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs).
5. (a) Eye
India was declared free from infective trachoma, a contagious bacterial infection of the eye common among children. It causes inflamed granulation on the inner surface of the lids. Recently, the Union Health Minister J P Nadda released the National Trachoma Survey Report (2014-17) in New Delhi.
6. (b) Telangana
Kacheguda Railway Station in Hyderabad, Telangana has become the first railway station in India that has been declared India’s first ‘energy-efficient’ A1 Category station. The station falls in South Central Railways Division.
7. (a) Moon
US President Donald Trump has directed NASA to send Americans to the Moon for the first time in decades, a move he said would help prepare for a future Mars trip. The last time US astronauts visited the Moon was during the Apollo missions of the 1960s and 1970s. On July 20, 1969, US astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the Moon.
8. (b) Saudi Arabia
The kingdom of Saudi Arabia announced that a resolution was passed on 11 December 2017 that lifted the decades-old ban on providing licenses to commercial movie theatres. The decision will pave way for the opening of the country’s first public cinemas after more than 35 years.
9. (a) Boxing
The Sports Ministry has approved five lakh rupees from the National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons for former heavyweight boxer Kaur Singh. The Padma Shree and Arjuna Awardee has been struggling with treatment for heart disease. Besides winning a gold medal in the Asian games held in New Delhi in 1982, Singh had also won two gold medals, one each in Kings Cup and Asian championships.
10. (c) Hyderabad
The World Telugu Conference will be held from 15 to 19 December in Hyderabad. It is being organised by the Telangana government. President Ram Nath Kovind would be the chief guest at the valedictory function of the conference and Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu will be the chief guest for the inaugural session.
11. (b) Cyber Attacks
The first NIC-CERT, a setup of National Informatics Centre, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology was inaugurated by Law and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad on 11 December 2017. The centre has been set up to help in early detection and prevention of cyber attacks on government networks.
12. (b) Alappuzha
Alappuzha, the coastal city of Kerala, which is famous for its backwaters and intricate network of canals and lagoons, was named in the United Nations (UN) report of five global cities that have successfully tackled solid waste management. Other cities in the list include Osaka in Japan, Ljubljana in Slovenia, Penang in Malaysia and Cajica in Colombia.