An independent Delhi-based writer Ankita Anand on 14 January 2016 won the European Commission's prestigious Lorenzo Natali Media Prize for 2015 in Asia and the Pacific amateur category.
She earned the award for her sensitive portrayal of life for young women facing the threat of the diktat of khap panchayats in Haryana with the title Stirrings beneath the peepul published in the journal The Equator Linel.
Arison Tamfu, an editor for the Cameroon Journal, won the Lorenzo Natali Grand Prize for a critical investigative report on how UN Climate change negotiations that are calling on nations to switch from fossil fuels to renewable energy are going to affect the development of African communities living where the resources are found with the title Africa’s billions might be buried forever.
About The Lorenzo Natali Media Prize
• It is organized by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development since 1992.
• It is awarded to journalists for outstanding reporting on development and poverty eradication.
• The Prize is divided into two distinct categories: amateur and professional journalism. An independent jury will identify one winner per category and per region.
• The Regions are Africa, the Arab world and the Middle East, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and Europe.
• Each winner of the prize will be granted 5000 Euros.
• The Lorenzo Natali Grand Prize of an additional 5000 Euros will be awarded to one of the winners.
About Ankita Anand
• She holds a Master’s Degree in English Literature from Miranda House of Delhi University.
• She is an independent writer.
• Earlier, she worked as secretary for the National Campaign for People’s Right to Information, a copy editor for Penguin Books India, and as a coordinator for the India Habitat Centre’s Indian Languages’ Festival.
• She is also the co-founder of Aatish, a street theatre group that produces plays on socio-political issues, and a member of the People’s Union for Democratic Rights.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 14 January 2016