Dr. H.A.B. Parpia, an acknowledged food scientist and the former Director of the Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI) died on 9 July 2013 after a brief illness. Dr. Parpia is now survived by his wife Carolyn Wilkes, two sons and two daughters. After death, his body was donated to Mysore Medical College and Research Institute.
There exist more than 2500 papers and documents published by the name of Dr. Parpia on food and technology and advanced education.
About DR. H.A.B. Parpia
• The 91 year old, Dr. Parpia served Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations at Rome and was Assistant Director in charge of Information, Statistics, Process Development and Food Plant Design at the CFTRI.
• He was the Assistant Director-General of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in 1959 and was in charge of Industrial Liaison Office and Extension, Delhi
• He served as a Director of CFTRI. Mysore in 1963
• He served as a Director of the International School of Milling Technology at the CFTRI
• Dr. Parpia served as the Principal Adviser, U.N. Conference on Science and Technology for Development, New York, from 1978-82
• In 1981, at the United Nations University headquarters in Tokyo he served as the Director of Planning and Evaluation
• He also served Massachusetts Institute of Technology from 1967 to 1978 as a visiting lecturer
• He served as the Chairman of Protein-Calorie Advisory Group of the UN System
• He was born on 5 September 1922, Dr. Parpia obtained his degree in Microbiology (Industrial and Medical) and Chemistry from the University of Bombay
• He studied Food Technology at University of California
• He completed his PhD from Oregon State University
Awards received by Dr. Parpia
• In 1968, Kashalkar Memorial Award for Outstanding Service to Indian Food Industry
• In 1971, he received Industrial Achievement Award from Institute of Food Technologists, USA
• In 1976, he received Distinguished Service Medal from the Prime Minister of India at 25th Anniversary of CFTRI, Mysore
• In 1984, he received V S Industrial Achievement Award from Association of Food Scientists & Technologists (India), Mysore
• In 1987, he received Wattumull Foundation Award from Honolulu, Hawaii, USA