Eminent Marathi literary scholar Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere dies
R C Dhere wrote over 100 scholarly books on Marathi folk literature and culture, Marathi literature, religious sects in Maharashtra and lives of saint poets. He won Sahitya Akademi Award in 1987 for his work Shri Vitthal: Ek MahaSamanvay.
Renowned Marathi writer Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere passed away on 1 July 2016 following prolonged illness. He was 86.
Dhere was known for his exhaustive research in folk literature and bhakti tradition of Maharashtra.
Who was R C Dhere?
• Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere was a Marathi writer from Maharashtra.
• He was born in the town of Nigade in Pune district.
• He obtained a Doctorate of Literature from Pune University.
• He wrote over 100 scholarly books on Marathi folk literature and culture, Marathi literature, religious sects in Maharashtra, and lives of saint poets.
• He also composed a few poems and musical plays.
• He received a Sahitya Akademi Award in 1987 for his work Shri Vitthal: Ek MahaSamanvay.
• His other important literary works are Dakshinecha Lokdev Khandoba, Marathi Loksanskrutiche Upasak, Gangajali and Musalman Marathi Santkavi among others.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App