Faisalabad Agriculture University conferred M S Swaminathan with honorary degree
Renowned Agriculture Scientist M.S. Swaminathan conferred with the Doctor of Science by the University of Agriculture in Faisalabad
Renowned agriculture Scientist M.S. Swaminathan was conferred with an honorary degree of the Doctor of Science by the University of Agriculture in Faisalabad, Pakistan) on 21 August 2014.
He was honoured for his contribution to farm research and allied areas of plant-breeding, genetics, biodiversity and ecological studies.
While receiving the honorary degree, Dr. Swaminathan called for an evergreen revolution to increase in productivity in perpetuity without ecological harm in the Indian subcontinent.
He also called for a nutrition-sensitive agriculture, through programmes rooted in the principles of ecology, economics, gender and social equity, employment and energy.
About MS Swaminathan
• MS Swaminathan was born on 7 August 1925 in Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu.
• He is an Indian geneticist and renowned for his leading role in India's "Green Revolution."
• Green Revolution is a program under which high-yield varieties of wheat and rice seedlings were planted in the fields of poor farmers.
• Swaminathan is known as Indian Father of Green Revolution, while, Norman Ernest Borlaug of the US is known as World's Father of Green Revolution.
• MS Swaminathan has served as Director of the Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi (1966-72).
• He is the Chairman of National Commission on Farmers, since its inception in 2004.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group