Muzaffar Ali, renowned filmmaker and poet, was presented the 22nd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana award on 20 August 2014 at Jawahar Bhawan in New Delhi. The award was presented by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, the president of All-India Congress Committee (AICC).
Muzaffar Ali was named for this prestigious award on 31 July 2014 for his contribution in spreading Communal harmony and peace. Born on 21 October 1944 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh; Muzaffar Ali had directed some of the most celebrated movies like Umrao Jaan, Gaman and Khizan. This 69 year old poet had been honoured with Padma Shri Award for his works in 2005.
Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana award
• Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award or Rajiv Gandhi National Communal Harmony Award was instituted by All-India Congress Committee (AICC) in 1992 to commemorate the contribution of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
• This award is celebrated every year on 20 August, the birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi as Sadbhavna Diwas (Harmony Day)
• The award recognizes outstanding contribution of personalities in promoting communal harmony, peace and national integration.
• The award prize carries a cash award of five lakh rupees and a citation.
• Sonia Gandhi, President of AICC and wife of late Rajiv Gandhi presents this award to the awardees every year.
• 21st Rajiv Gandhi National Sadhbhavna Award was presented to Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan in 2013.
• Some other recipients of the award are Mother Teresa, KR Narayanan, Ustad Bismillah Khan, Lata Mangeshkar, Sunil Dutt, Dilip Kumar, Kapila Vatsyayan, SPIC MACAY, S N Subbarao, Swami Agnivesh and Madari Moideen (jointly).
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
Who: Muzaffar Ali
When: 20 August 2014