Filmmaker Pahlaj Nihalani appointed as Chairman of CBFC
Union Government reconstituted Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) and named Filmmaker Pahlaj Nihalani as its chairman. Nihalani succeeded Leela Samson.
Filmmaker Pahlaj Nihalani on 19 January 2015 was appointed as the Chairman of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
Nihalani, known for the 1990s blockbusters Shola aur Shabnam and Aankhen will succeed Leela Samson who resigned from her office on 16 January 2015.
Nihalani is also known for producing a fan-song for Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014 titled Har Ghar Modi-The Power House of India.
Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry who reconstituted the complete Board also appointed nine new members in it. The tenure of the Chairperson and the members of the CBFC will be of three years.
The Chairman and the members were appointed in accordance with the sub-section (1) of Section 3 of the Cinematograph Act, 1952 and Rule 3 of the Cinematograph (Certification) Rules, 1983.
Appointed members of the board are
• Film director Dr. Chandra Prakash Dwivedi – he is known for his epic TV serial Chanakya and critically acclaimed national award winning film Pinjar
• BJP leader Vani Tripathi Tikoo - she acted in films like Chalte Chalte and Dushman
• Kashmiri activist and filmmaker Ashoke Pandit - he is known for films like And the World Remained Silent and Sheen
• Dalit RSS activist Ramesh Patange – he authored Me, Manu anee Sangh (I, Manu, and Sangh)
• Gujarat Central University Vice-Chancellor Syed Abdul Bari
• Bengali actor George Baker
• Tamil actor Sattanathapuram Venkataraman Shekhar
• Telugu actor Jeevitha
• Writer Mihir Bhuta