Geeta Chandran, Bharatnatyam exponent honoured with Guru Debaprasad Award
Bharatnatyam dancer Geeta Chandran was on 29 October 2013 honoured with the Guru Debaprasad Award for outstanding contribution in the field of dance.
Renowned Bharatnatyam exponent Geeta Chandran was on 29 October 2013 honoured with the prestigious Guru Debaprasad Award for outstanding contribution in the field of dance. The award was presented to Geeta Chandran and three others by Odisha Governor S C Jamir at in Bhubaneswar.
The others Awardees are
• Dr. Anita Ratnam (Contemporary Dance)
• Guru Shashadhar Acharya (Chhau Dance)
• Guru Sudhakar Sahu (Odissi)
Guru Debaprasad Award is an annual award, instituted in memory of eminent Odissi exponent Guru Debaprasad Das. The award was constituted by Tridhara dance institute in the year 2007.
About Geetha chandran
- Geetha chandran is India’s renowned Bharatanatyam dancer. She was recipient of Padmashri and a celebrated artist, Geetha Chandran is virtually synonymous with the Indian classical dance form of Bharatanatyam.
- She is Founder-President of Natya-Vriksha, where she teaches and promotes Bharatanatyam.
- She is also Artistic Director of the Natya Vriksha Dance Company, which has travelled all over the world with its dance presentations.