Govt approves Rs 4,900 crore to link Kosi and Mechi rivers
Kosi-Mechi Interlinking project can provide relief to the region from the menace of recurring floods.
Cabinet has approved Rs. 4,900 crore for Kosi-Mechi interlinking project in Bihar. The central government has approved the second river interlinking project after the Ken-Betwa project in Madhya Pradesh. Every year floods become a major reason for destruction and interlinking of Kosi and Mechi can provide a little relief to the Seemanchal region of the state.
Kosi-Mechi Interlinking Project
Locals believe that this project is beneficial in many ways to them. This project can provide relief to the region from the menace of recurring floods. Also, it will provide irrigation facility to more than 2.14 lakh hectares of command areas spread across the districts of Kishanganj, Araria, Katihar and Purnia in north Bihar.
Benefits of Kosi-Mechi Interlinking project
• This project will provide a diversion to the surplus water of Kosi River through existing Hanuman Nagar barrage to Mechi River of Mahananda basin.
• Mechi River will get water from another source and it will become a vast natural resource of irrigation.
• This project has a possibility to escort the next green revolution in Seemanchal region. This project involves no displacement of population and there is no diversion of any forest land.
• Another benefit of the project is that there is no national park, wildlife sanctuary; eco-sensitive areas, etc. are present within 10 kilometres (km) radius of the project.
About Ken-Betwa Interlinking Project
• Ken-Betwa Interlinking is country’s first river interlinking project that will connect two rivers in Madhya Pradesh.
• The project aims to transfer surplus water of Ken River to the Betwa basin through a concrete canal to irrigate India’s worst drought-prone Bundelkhand region.
• This project will help irrigate an area of 6.35 lakh hectares annually in Bundelkhand region.
• Two powerhouses of 2×30 MW and 3×6 MW each, 221 km long Ken-Betwa link canal and two of 1.9 km long upper level are other attractions of the project.