Foreign Minister Hashim Thaci was on 26 February 2016 elected as president of Kosovo by the Members of Parliament amid the protests.
He succeeded Atifete Jahjaga as head of state after winning the required simple majority in voting held in Pristina.
• He was a guerrilla leader during a conflict that led to Kosovo, a mainly ethnic Albanian province declaring independence from Serbia.
• He had also served as prime minister fell out with many opposition groups after helping to negotiate with Serbia a deal that gave more autonomy to minority Serbs of Kosovo.
• Kosovo unilaterally declared independence from Serbia in 2008. It has been recognised by the US and many EU countries.
• This self-declared independence was not recognized by Serbia and many other countries around the world.
• Kosovo and Serbia reached a landmark agreement to normalise their relations in April 2013.
• Nato peacekeepers have been in Kosovo since 1999.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Hashim Thaci
When: 26 February 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.