Mohammed Shahid, one of the greatest names in Indian hockey, died on 20 July 2016 due to severe liver condition and kidney failure. He was 56.
Shahid was the part of the Indian hockey team that won the gold medal at the 1980 Moscow Olympics.
About Mohammed Shahid
• Born on 14 April 2016 in Varanasi, Mohammed Shahid is considered one of India's best to have played hockey.
• He made his first appearance for India in the junior team in 1979 at the Junior World Cup in France.
• He made his first appearance in the senior team in 1979 in a four-nation tournament in Kuala Lumpur.
• He was known for his running ability, dribbling of the ball and push.
• He was awarded the Best Forward Player at the 1980 Champions Trophy in Karachi.
• He was a member of the team that won the silver at the 1982 Asian Games and bronze at the 1986 Asian Games.
• He captained the Indian team during 1985–1986.
• He was awarded Arjuna Award in 1980–1981.
• He was honoured with Padma Shri in 1986.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App