Inaugural Indian Badminton League (IBL) Started off at New Delhi
The first season of the Indian Badminton League (IBL) started on 14 August 2013 at New Delhi. IBL is proposed by Badminton Association of India.
The first season of the Indian Badminton League (IBL) started on 14 August 2013 at New Delhi. The IBL is the franchise league which is proposed by Badminton Association of India (BAI). The schedule of the IBL is 14 August 2013 to 31 August 2013. The league will include Indian as well as foreign badminton players.
Important Facts about the Indian Badminton League (IBL)
• Deepika Padukone and Aamir Khan are the brand ambassadors of the IBL.
• The franchise cities include Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Nagpur and Lucknow.
• The opening ceremony of the event took place at Delhi on 13 August 2013 and the final will be held at Mumbai on 31 August 2013. The semi-final matches will take place at Bangalore and Hyderabad.
• The six teams at the inaugural IBL are Krrish Delhi Smashers, Pune Pistons, Banga Beats (Bangalore), Awadhe Warriors (Lucknow), Hyderabad Hotshots and Mumbai Masters. Each franchise will consist of 11 players- 4 foreign, 6 Indians and 1 junior Indian.
• The overall prize money of the event is 1 million US dollar. This is the richest tournament of badminton in the world.
• Five matches will be played per tie which will include two men's singles, one each of women's singles, men's doubles and mixed doubles.
• Six icon players from India include Jwala Gutta (Krrish Delhi Smashers), Ashwini Ponnappa (Pune Pistons), Lee Chong Wei (Mumbai Masters), P Kashyap (Banga Beats), Saina Nehwal (Hyderabad Hotshots) and PV Sindhu (Awadhe Warriors).