India & UK have agreed to sign a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on bilateral cooperation between the Indian Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and Britain’s Transport For London (TFL) in urban transport policy planning, technology transfer and institutional organization of transport on 12 May 2017.
The decision was taken during the three-day official visit of Nitin Gadkari, the Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping, to Britain.
• The proposal includes exchange of information and expertise between the TFL the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways on the mobility and efficiency of the transport system and the methodologies to facilitate the planning and delivery of mobility solutions.
• The mobility solutions include passenger information, ticketing, major project financing, infrastructure maintenance strategies and behavioral change and public transport promotion.
• The MoU’s would be signed through diplomatic channels within the coming days.
• Gadkari’s interaction with the TFL authorities also explored the possibilities of further cooperation on electric buses, bus innovation and capacity augmentation and water transport.
Transport for London
• It is a local government body responsible for the transport system in Greater London, England.
• The TFL virtually coordinates all the London transport including bus network, water transport, cable car and London metro.
• It provides world class services that keep the British capital better equipped with public transport.