The United Nations Department of Field Support (DFS) on 22 July 2016 announced that India provided 100000 US dollar for the Trust Fund in support of victims of sexual exploitation and abuse.
With this, India has become the first country in the world to make a contribution to the Trust Fund.
The UN Secretariat had requested voluntary contributions to the Trust Fund when it was established.
About UN Trust Fund
• The UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women awards grants to initiatives that demonstrate that violence against women and girls can be systematically addressed, reduced and eliminated.
• Since its creation in 1996, the UN Trust Fund has awarded 116 million US dollar to 426 initiatives in 136 countries and territories.
• It was established by UN General Assembly resolution 50/166.
• It is administered by UN Women on behalf of the UN System.
• The agency works to prevent violence against women and girls by empowering groups especially at risk of violence.
• It works to improves access to services, such as legal assistance, psychosocial counselling and health care.
• It works to strengthen implementation of laws, policies and action planson violence against women and girls.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App