Indian lawyer and human rights defender Henri Tiphagne on 26 January 2016 was selected for the 8th Human Rights Award by Amnesty International Germany.
The award is a recognition of Tiphagne’s exceptional commitment to human rights. He will be conferred with the award at an official ceremony on 25 April 2016 at the Maxim Gorki Theatre in Berlin, Germany.
Who is Henri Tiphagne?
• Henri Tiphagne is the founder of the organization People’s Watch, one of the most notable human rights organizations in India.
• People’s Watch has been researching and documenting human rights violations, as well as providing legal representation to those affected, for over 20 years. The organization also actively supports human rights education.
• In 1997, Tiphagne founded an institute offering training for teachers as well as mentoring around school human rights education programmes.
• He was formerly a member of the National Core Group of NGOs of the National Human Rights Commission of India as well as the State Representative for the State of Tamil Nadu for Right to Education Act of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights.
About Amnesty International Human Rights Award
• The Human Rights Award is presented by Amnesty Germany every two years in recognition of individuals or organizations campaigning for human rights under very difficult conditions.
• Through the award, Amnesty International aims to honour and support the awardees’ exceptional human rights commitment and raise awareness of their work amongst the German public.
• The award comes with 10000 Euros, provided by Amnesty Germany’s foundation Stiftung Menschenrechte, Förderstiftung Amnesty.
• Former award recipients include: Monira Rahman from Bangladesh (2006), Women of Zimbabwe Arise from Zimbabwe (2008), Abel Barrera from Mexico (2011) and Alice Nkom from Cameroon (2014).
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 26 January 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.