The Union Cabinet on 1 February 2017 approved the introduction of the Indian Institutes of Infromaton Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2017 in the Parliament.
The amendment Bill provides for inclusion of Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing (IIITDM), Kurnool along with the other IIITs in the Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014.
Subsequently, IITDM Kurnool will be declared as an institute of National Importance with the power to award degrees to students.
• The Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing Kurnool (IIITDMK) is an autonomous institute.
• It is a residential institute with academic, research, hostel, and recreational facilities.
• The institute is open to all persons irrespective of gender, caste, creed, disability, domicile, ethnicity, social or economic background.
• It is fully funded by the Union Ministry of Human Resources and Development (MHRD).
• Academic session has commenced in IITDMK in two branches of study in 2015-16.
• At present, the institute is operating from the campus of the Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing (IIITDM) Kancheepuram.
• After the creation of the necessary infrastructure the IITDMK will be relocated to Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh.
Key features of Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014
• It aims to set up IIITs to improve quality of human resources, at par with global standards, within the information technology sector.
• It accords ‘Institute of National Importance’ status to four IIITs. They are –
1) Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Gwalior
2) Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad
3) Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Kancheepuram
4) Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Jabalpur
• Objectives of these institutes are –
i. To provide instruction in areas concerning information technology and allied fields of knowledge
ii. To conduct research and innovation in information technology
iii. To hold examinations and grant degrees, diplomas and other titles
iv. To create and make appointments to various posts
v. To establish and maintain such infrastructure as may be necessary
When: 4 February 2017