Jammu and Kashmir government on 3 April 2017 imposed a blanket ban on the use of polyethene bags manufactured below fifty (50) microns.
Choudhary Lal Singh, the Minister for Forest, Environment and Ecology of Jammu and Kashmir, said that the government is taking all the possible measures to prevent the state’s environment and ecology from being polluted.
The Minister said new guidelines and regulations, would facilitate proper recycling of plastic waste, reducing its impact on the ecology.
Highlights of the decision
• The manufacturer's name and address will now be required to be printed on the bags, failing to which, strict action will be taken against them.
• Producers of the plastic carry bags will have to obtain registration from the State Pollution Control Board (SPCB), in the case of absence of registration, no person will be allowed to manufacture these carry bags.
• The brand owner or the producer of these plastic carry bags will have to submit its action plan for buyback/waste collection system based on extended producer responsibility to the Board.
• The guidelines state that every street vendor will have to get him/herself registered with the concerned Municipal body for trading in the products of polyethene. For this purpose, the vendor will have to pay a fee of Rs 48000 annually.
• Local bodies will be responsible for segregation, collection, processing and disposal of plastic waste in urban areas either on its own or by engaging agencies or producers.
• Directions have been passed to all allied departments for successful and strict implementation of this order.
• The government will also organise awareness camps to educate masses about ill effects of non-biodegradable products.
Region behind the decision on a blanket ban on the use of polyethene bags
The minister informed that unnecessary or wanton use of polyethene and its unscientific disposal has posed a serious threat to the environment as it takes a long time to degrade. It also poses a serious threat to the lives of wildlife.
When: 3 April 2017