Kersti Kaljulaid on 3 October 2016 was elected as the President of Estonia by the parliament.
With this, Kaljulaid will become Estonia’s first female president.
Kaljulaid won vote 81-0, with 20 members absent or abstaining. Her selection follows two failed votes and weeks of heated debate.
About Kersti Kaljulaid
• Kersti Kaljulaid is the President-elect of Estonia.
• She is due to take office on 10 October 2016 as the country's fifth President.
• She will be the first woman to become President of Estonia since the country declared independence in 1918 and again in 1991.
• She will also be the youngest person elected President, aged 46.
• She graduated from Tallinn Secondary School no. 44 in 1987.
• In 1992, she graduated from University of Tartu cum laude as a biologist.
• In 2001, she graduated University of Tartu with an MBA in business management.
• In 1996–1997, she worked as a sales manager in state-owned telecom Eesti Telefon.
• In 1997–1998, she worked as a project manager in Hoiupanga Investeeringute AS.
• In 1998–1999, she worked in the investment banking department of Hansapank Markets.
• In 1999–2002, she worked as the economic advisor of Estonian Prime Minister Mart Laar.
• Since May 2011, she has been the representative of Estonia in the European Court of Auditors.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Kersti Kaljulaid
When: 3 October 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.