The oldest penguin of the world named King Penguin Missy turned 36 years old on 12 August 2013. 36 years old for penguins is equal to 108 years old in humans. King Penguin Missy was brought to Birdland Wildlife Park in Gloucestershire, UK in the year 1982 at the age of 5 years.
The Birdland wildlife park in Gloucestershire’s staff planned to send the penguin’s name to Guinness World Records to prove her title. It is important to note that the King penguins - Aptenodytes patagonicus – are expected to live till 26 years only in captivity.
King Penguin Missy spends her time with the partner named Seth, who is 34 years old and was also a part of the 1992 movie- Batman Returns.
Facts about King Penguins - Aptenodytes Patagonicus
• The King Penguin (Aptenodytes patagonicus) is second largest species of Penguin.
• The weight of this penguin is 11 to 16 kg, which is second only to the Emperor Penguin.
• There are two sub-species of the King Penguins- AP Patagonicus and AP Halli. AP Patagonicus are found in the South Atlantic while the AP Halli is found at other places.
• King Penguins rely on small fish, primarily lanternfish as well as squid for their food.
• On their foraging trips, they dive to more than 330 feet and have also been recorded at the depths greater than 980 feet.
• The breeding place of King Penguins is subantarctic islands at the northern reaches of Antarctica, South Georgia as well as other temperate islands of this region.
• King Penguins have the orange patches on either side of their head.
• King Penguin is also the emblem of the Edinburgh Zoo.