Literary critic M Achuthan passed away on 9 April 2017 following age-related illness at a private hospital in Kochi. He was 87. He is survived by his wife and daughters.
About M Achuthan
• Achuthan began his career as a critic by challenging the views of literary stalwarts Kuttikrishna Marar and Joseph Mundassery.
• Achuthan had 10 works to his credit. His book on the poems of Edassery is one of his noted works.
• His works include 'Swathanthrya Samaravum Malayala Sahithyavum', 'Paschathya Sahitya Darshanam' and 'Cherukadha Innale Innu' among others.
• He had also served various stints in his career including his term as the Chief Public Relations Officer of the state, as the Director of State Institute of Publications, as the President of Sahithya Pravarthaka Sahakarana Sangham and as the President of Samastha Kerala Sahithya Parishat.
• He translated Thousand and One Nights into Malayalam.
• He was awarded with the Sahitiya Akademi award in 1976 for his literary works.
• Born in June 1930, Achuthan completed his MA in Malayalam Literature with first rank.