Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation on 22 July 2016 constituted a committee to prepare guidelines for desiltation of river Ganga.
Madhav Chitale, an Expert Member of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) has been appointed as Chairman of the committee. The tenure of the committee would be for a period of three months.
Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Committee are
• It will provide guidelines for desiltation of river Ganga from Bhimgauda (Uttarakhand) to Farakka (West Bengal).
• It will establish difference between desilting and sand mining in the river.
• It will establish need for desilting for ecology and e-flow of the river Ganga.
The other members of the four-member committee are
• Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation
• Secretary, Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change
• Dr. Mukesh Sinha, Director, Central Water and Power Research Station, Pune
The committee was constituted in the backdrop of Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti’s call to form a committee which will look after desiltation of river Ganga. She announced the plan of constituting the committee while chairing the 6th meeting of the National Ganga River Basin Authority in New Delhi on 4 July 2016.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 22 July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.