Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina on 21 July 2016 jointly inaugurated the Petrapole Integrated Check Post (ICP).
PM Modi and PM Hasina inaugurated the check post through video-conferencing.
The Petrapole checkpost will help in promoting bilateral trade and will also boost economic growth of both countries.
Petrapole-Benapole is an important land border crossing for India-Bangladesh trade as more than 50% of the India-Bangladesh trade passes through Petrapole.
Key highlights of the Petrapole Integrated Check Post
• Petrapole is the Indian side of Petrapole-Benapole border checkpoint between India and Benapole of Bangladesh.
• It is located near Bongaon in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal.
• Petrapole border is the only land port in south Bengal.
• It is the largest land customs station in Asia.
• This check post accounts for more than half of the 4 billion US dollar trade with Bangladesh.
• The landport accounts for nearly 60 per cent of the bilateral trade between India and Bangladesh.
• The total traffic via the landport in 2029-30 has been projected as 2938 trucks per day and the passenger traffic is projected to be 3924 people per day.
• Petrapole ICP is the second ICP on the India-Bangladesh border after the Agartala ICP at the Agartala-Akhaura land border.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 21 July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.