India celebrated its National Sports Day on 29 August 2017. The day is annually celebrated on this day to mark the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand.
Various programmes are being conducted across India to celebrate the day. On this occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind will give away the National Sports Awards this evening. A total of 29 players have been selected to receive the honours from President.
The President will confer Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and Dronacharya Award at Rashtrapati Bhawan. The Khel Ratna Award is honoured for the players’ spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports over a period of four years at international level. The Arjuna Awards are given to recognize outstanding achievement in National sports while the Dronacharya Award is sports coaching honour.
About Dhyan Chand
• Born on 29 August 1905 in Allahabad, Dhyan Chand was an Indian field hockey player and is considered as one of the greatest field hockey players of all time.
• He is known for his extraordinary goal-scoring feats.
• He helped India to win three Olympic gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936 in field hockey.
• He was known as “The Wizard” for his superb ball control.
• He scored more than 400 goals in his career which spanned over 22 years.
• In 1956, he was awarded with the third highest (then second highest) Civilian honour of Padma Bhushan.
• The Union Government in 2012 decided to celebrate his birthday, i.e. 29 August, as the country’s National Sports Day.
Who: National Sports Day
When: 29 on August 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider