NSE regained Top Position as World’s largest Bourse for Equity Trade
National Stock Exchange (NSE) has regained its position as the world’s largest bourse in terms of volume in equity trade in June 2013.
As per the latest data by World Federation of Exchanges, National Stock Exchange (NSE) has regained its position as the world’s largest bourse in terms of volume in equity trade in June 2013.
NSE has maintains its lead in the first three months of 2013, but slipped to second Slot in April and May 2013.
Some facts to be remembered
• NSE registered 11.2 crore trades on its platform, making it the world’s top exchange among the 50 bourses listed with WFE.
• NSE witnessed a fall of 9.7 Percent in its equity trade in June 2013.
• NSE was also ranked first in the number of equity trades for the first half of 2013 with 71.18 crore trades.
• NSE was followed by NYSE Euronext and Nasdaq OMX at the second and the third positions. NYSE Euronext and Nasdaq recorded 10.65 crore and 9.88 crore trades in June, respectively in their equity segments.
• BSE stand at the eighth place with 2.44 crore trades on its platform. While the total number of listed companies is much larger in the case of BSE, the exchange lags behind NSE significantly in terms of volume and value of trades.
• Among the top ten are Korea Exchange stands at 5th, Shanghai SE at 6th, Japan Exchange Group-Tokyo at 7th, Canada’s TMX Group 9th and BM&FBOVESPA at 10th.
About National Stock Exchange (NSE)
National Stock Exchange (NSE) is located in Mumbai, India and is 11th largest stock exchange in the world by market capitalisation and largest in India by daily turnover and number of trades, for both equities and derivative trading.
NSE has a market capitalisation of around US 1 trillion Dollars and over 1652 listings as of July 2012. Though a number of other exchanges exist, NSE and the Bombay Stock Exchange are the two most significant stock exchanges in India, and between them are responsible for the vast majority of share transactions.
The NSE's key index is the S&P CNX Nifty, known as the NSE NIFTY (National Stock Exchange Fifty), an index of fifty major stocks weighted by market capitalisation.