The National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) under Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation on 29 June 2017 released the report titled 'Key Indicators of Unincorporated Non-Agricultural Enterprises (Excluding Construction) in India’.
The Report was released based on the information collected under 73rd round of its survey conducted during July 2015 to June 2016 as a follow-up survey of the 6th Economic Census.
The survey was designed to generate various estimates on the operational and economic characteristics of the unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises in industry sectors of manufacturing, trading and other services such as type of enterprises, employment particulars, operating expenses, etc.
How was the survey conducted?
• The survey covered non-agricultural enterprises which are not incorporated or not registered under Companies Act, 1956.
• The categories of enterprises under the coverage of survey included proprietary and partnership enterprises (excluding limited liability partnerships), Self Help Groups (SHGs), Non-Profit Institutions (NPIs) and Trusts etc.
• The domain of ‘unincorporated enterprises’ excluded bidi and cigar manufacturing enterprises registered under Bidi and Cigar Workers (Condition of Employment) Act, 1966; government sector enterprises and cooperatives.
• The results of the survey are based on the sample canvassed by NSSO consisting of 8484 villages and 7839 urban blocks spread over all States and Union Territories of the country.
• The total number of enterprises in which the Schedule was canvassed was 143179 and 146934 in rural and urban India respectively during the period July 2015 –June 2016.
Estimated number of Enterprises
• During 2015-16, 6.34 crore unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises (excluding construction) were estimated at all India level.
• Out of the total estimated number of enterprises at all India level, 31 per cent were engaged in manufacturing, 36.3 per cent were in trading and 32.6 per cent were in other services sector.
• Out of the total number of unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises, about 51 per cent were located in rural areas and 49 per cent were located in urban areas.
• Own Account Enterprises (OAEs) have a dominant share of 84.2 per cent in the unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises under survey coverage.
• Uttar Pradesh reported the highest share of 14.20 per cent in total number of unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises followed by West Bengal (13.99 per cent), Tamil Nadu (7.80 per cent), Maharashtra (7.54 per cent) and Karnataka (6.05 per cent).
Estimated number of Workers
• The survey revealed that about 11.13 crore workers were engaged in unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises (excluding construction) in the country during 2015-16.
• Out of the total number of workers, 34.8 per cent were engaged in trading, 32.8 per cent were in other services and 32.4 per cent were in manufacturing.
• Among the total number of workers estimated, 55 per cent worked in urban areas and 45 per cent worked in rural areas.
• OAEs accounted for 62 per cent of the workforce in unincorporated non-agricultural sector (excluding construction) in the country.
• The top five States in terms of total number of workers engaged in unincorporated non-agricultural sector at all India level are Uttar Pradesh (14.9 per cent) , West Bengal (12.2 per cent), Tamil Nadu (8.7 per cent), Maharashtra (8.2 per cent) and Karnataka (6.4 per cent).
Type of Ownership: Proprietary enterprises had the highest share (96 per cent) in the unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises in the country. Partnership enterprises had a share of 2 per cent and Self Help Groups (SHGs) accounted for 1.8 per cent. Trusts and ‘others’ had only a negligible presence of 0.1 per cent each.
Nature of Operation: At all India level, 98.3 per cent of enterprises were permanent in nature. Seasonal and casual enterprises had a share of 1.3 per cent and 0.4 per cent respectively.
Location of enterprise: About 87 per cent of the unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises in the country during 2015-16 were reported to have operated out of a fixed location either within the household premises or outside the household premises.
Status of registration: About 31 per cent of the unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises have registered under industry specific agencies/authorities. Share of registered enterprises were 41.4 per cent in urban areas and 20.9 per cent in rural areas.
Non-Profit Institutions among unincorporated enterprises: At all India level, about 1 per cent of the enterprise was reported to be Non-Profit Institutions with 0.1 per cent reported to have received their major receipts either from grants or donations.
Gross Value Added (GVA): GVA was calculated only for the enterprises engaged in Market Production. During 2015-16, the aggregate GVA by the unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises engaged in market production was estimated at Rs 1152338 crores.
Gross Value Added (GVA) per Enterprise: At all India level, annual GVA per enterprise for the unincorporated non-agricultural enterprises was estimated at Rs 181908. Among the major States, Delhi reported the highest annual GVA per enterprise of Rs 497524 and West Bengal had the lowest GVA per enterprise of Rs 96686.
Gross Value Added (GVA) per Worker: The annual GVA per worker for enterprises engaged in market production at all India level was estimated at Rs 103744. Delhi had the highest GVA per Worker of Rs 202616 and Odisha had the lowest GVA per worker of Rs 60933.
Emoluments per hired worker: The average annual emoluments per hired worker was estimated at Rs 87544. Among the major states, Kerala (Rs 125616) and Assam (Rs 53726) respectively reported the highest and lowest value of average annual emoluments per hired worker.
Market Value of owned fixed assets: This includes those produced assets, that had a normal economic life of more than one year, held for the purpose of producing or providing goods or services.
What: Released by NSSO
When: 29 June 2017