Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) on 19 January 2015 inked a Memorandum of Collaboration (MoC) with Pan-IIT (Indian Institutes of Technology) to work towards a collective R&D Programme for Developing Indigenous Technologies to enhance Exploration and Exploitation of Hydrocarbons and Alternate Sources of Energy.
Pan IIT is a consortium of seven premier Indian Institutes of Technology namely, IIT-Kharagpur, IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Madras, IIT-Mumbai, IIT-Delhi, IIT-Guwahati and IIT-Roorkee.
The agreement was signed in Delhi in presence of Union Minister of Human Resource Development Smriti Irani and the Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan. The MoC is a response to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Make in India initiative.
The two institutes have identified seven thematic areas and sub-topics under the MoC. The identified thematic areas includes
• Geological and Geophysical studies
• Reservoir characterization, modeling and simulation
• Oil and Gas Production and Recovery Enhancement
• Software Development
• Unconventional Energy Resources
• Engineering solutions/tools and technology development
• Alternate Energy researches have been identified by both
The programme will be funded by the ONGC and shall take advantage of the available infrastructure and manpower of the IITs and ONGC. The two institutes have agreed to
• Develop indigenous technologies
• Engage in sustained research
• Capacity building aimed at a multi-pronged approach
• Transform their experiential based learning in this core sector
Who: ONGC and IITs
When: 19 January 2015