Rodrigo Digong Duterte on 30 May 2016 was officially declared to be the president-elect by the parliament of Philippine.
He won a landslide victory in the presidential election in May 2016, taking about six million votes more than his competitor.
The joint session of the House of Representatives and the Senate also proclaimed Maria Leonor Leni Robredo as vice-president.
They both will assume the charge on 30 June 2016 and serve a single six-year term.
Rodrigo Digong Duterte
• He was born in 1945 into a political family but with a more modest background than many Philippine politicians.
• He is a lawyer by profession.
• He became vice-mayor of Davao in 1986 and mayor in 1988.
• He has also held a seat in congress.
• He had a reputation fighting crime, militancy and corruption.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 30 May 2016