Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 20 November 2016 formally launched the "Housing for All scheme" in rural areas to provide an environmentally safe and protected 'pucca house' to every rural household by 2022.
The scheme is also named as the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana (Gramin).
Highlights of the Scheme
• In the first phase, the target is to complete one crore houses by March 2019.
• A minimum support of around 1.5 lakh rupees to 1.6 lakh rupees is now available to a household.
• If the beneficiary desires, there is also a provision of Bank loan of up to 70000 rupees.
• All the beneficiaries are selected through a completely transparent process using the Socio-Economic Census 2011 data.
• It provides for skilling 5 lakh rural masons by 2019 and allows over 200 different housing designs across the country based on housing typologies, environmental hazards and the household requirements.
• It targets the poor households and uses ICT and space technology to confirm correct selection of beneficiaries and progress of work.
• All the payments will be done through IT/DBT mode with Aadhaar linked Bank accounts to ensure complete transparency and accountability.
Who: PM Narendra Modi
When: 20 November 2016