Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 9 May 2017 reiterated that the Muslim community should not allow the issue of Triple Talaq to be politicised. He reiterated his call while interacting with leaders of the Muslim community who called on the Prime Minister under the umbrella of the Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind.
During the meet in New Delhi, PM Modi urged them to take the responsibility for initiating reform in this regard. The delegation also appreciated the Prime Minister’s stand on the issue of Triple Talaq.
The Prime Minister said democracy’s greatest strength is harmony and amity. Emphasising that the Government does not have any right to discriminate among citizens, Modi said, India’s speciality has been its unity in diversity.
According to an official release, the Prime Minister also said that the new generation in India must not be allowed to fall victim to the rising global tide of extremism. Noting that terrorism is a major challenge, the delegation expressed a common resolve to combat it with all their might.
The members of the delegation included President of the Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind Maulana Qari Syed Mohammad Usman Mansurpuri, President - Anjuman-i-Islam, General Secretary of the Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind Maulana Mahmood A Madani, Prof Akhtarul Wasey, Mumbai Dr Zahir I Kazi and Maulana Badaruddin Ajmal.
Triple Talaq is unconstitutional and violates rights of Muslim women: Allahabad High Court
Response of leaders of the Muslim Community
• They said it is the Muslim community’s responsibility that under no circumstances should anyone compromise with the nation’s security or well-being. They added that the community would never allow any conspiracy against India to succeed.
• Expressing concern at the situation in Kashmir valley, members of the delegation said that only Prime Minister Narendra Modi can resolve the issue.
• The delegation also appreciated the implementation of minority welfare schemes under the Union Government.
• Members of the delegation also mentioned the progress made by their institutions, in Government initiatives such as cashless transactions, start-ups, and the Hackathon recently organised by NITI Aayog.
• Praising the Prime Minister’s vision, members of the delegation expressed hope that the nationwide trust that he has among the people, will ensure prosperity and well-being of all segments of society.
• They said the Muslim community is keen to be an equal partner in the making of New India.
When: 9 May 2017