Prakash Javadekar launches Portal and Mobile App of RUSA
The Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA), under the aegis of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, on 17 April 2017 launched its own portal and mobile app. The portal and app were officially launched by Union Minister of Human Resource Development Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi.
The portal is a one-stop location for States’ Higher Education Plans, the decision of the States’ Higher Education Councils and details of the resources. Also, the gallery is a rich repository of the projects initiated under RUSA. On the other hand, the mobile application will ensure that all projects under RUSA are tracked 24x7.
Besides, the minister also inaugurated 17 facilities created under Rashtriya Ucchatat Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) in one go in 14 states. They include
• A cluster university in Jammu and Kashmir
• Micro ATM facility at the RUSA centre for intelligent systems in Pune University
• New Colleges (Professional): Rajiv Gandhi Government Engineering College, Kangra (Himachal Pradesh)
• Equity Initiatives: Digital Language Laboratory in Ghatsila College, Ghatsila, Kolhan University (Jharkhand)
• Infrastructure Grants to Universities: Solar Panelling System in Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit, Kalady, Ernakulam (Kerala)
• Infrastructure Grants to University: Academic Block, Government Rani Durgawati College, Mandla (Madhya Pradesh)
• Research, Innovation and Quality Improvement in Shivaji University, Kolhapur & Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune (Maharashtra)
• Up-gradation of existing degree colleges to Model Degree Colleges: Academic (Commerce) Block in Dera Natung Government College, Itanagar (Arunachal Pradesh)
• Infrastructure Grants to University: Smart Classrooms and Moot Court Room, Mohan Lal Sukhadia University, Udaipur (Rajasthan)
• Infrastructure Grants to the University: Computer Lab at Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak (Haryana)
• Infrastructure Grants to Colleges: New building for M.Ed. Classrooms, Institute of Advanced Study in Education, Republic Veng, Aizawl (Mizoram)
• Infrastructure Grants to Colleges: Renovation of IT/Bioinformatics Centre, Laboratories in Biotechnology, Food Technology, Chemistry, Biological Science, Home Science and Geology in S. Kula Women’s College, Kongkhampat, Nambol (Manipur)
• New Model Degree College (MDC) at Kalwakurthy, Nagarkurnool (District), Telangana and Infrastructure Grants to University: Yogic Science Laboratory in Uttarakhand Sanskrit University, Haridwar (Uttarakhand)
• Preparatory Grants: Management Information Systems (MIS) in all Government College of Sikkim; Infrastructure Grants to Universities: Women Hostel at Bharathiar University, Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu)
In addition to this, Javadekar also launched the Fund and Reform Tracker for this centrally sponsored scheme. He also released the Booklet “Digital Launch of Projects; Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA)” on this occasion. This fund and reform tracker will help in monitoring RUSA projects from the moment it is sanctioned and will continue till the project is completed. Some of the key highlights of the Scheme
• It will capture the fund allocation as per the Project Approval Board, which include the installment-wise fund release by the Union and the state governments,
• It will also track the institution-wise key project, vendors appointed and the payment made to them as also stage-wise photos and time stamps of payments made and comments entered.
• It will also provide component-wise details, which means a quick snapshot into the funding of RUSA projects.
• Whether it is infrastructure grants of equity initiatives, this window gives a peek into the funds approved, the amount released, the sum utilised and the percentage of work completed.
• Stakeholders can also get granular details on the money released from the centre and the state. The date stamps give a picture on the timelines followed and the pictures provide the ground reality.
• Tracking projects are the soul of this App, and every initiative is tagged with a unique ID number, thus providing the entire story of how an idea germinated and matured.
Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA)
• RUSA is the Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) of the Department of Higher Education, MHRD
• It aims to provide strategic central funding to State Higher Education Departments and Institutions and achieve the broad objectives of access, equity and excellence
• The State Higher Education Departments and Institutions undertake certain governance, academic and administrative reforms as a pre-requisite to be entitled to RUSA grants
• The implementation of RUSA in its right earnest began after May 2014.
States and UTs have responded very well to Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan as it has seen the participation of 29 States and UTs. Over 2000 State Universities and Colleges have been supported so far.
RUSA, which will allow the government to improve the quality of primary as well as higher education, has seen an allocation of Rs 1300 crore in its 2017-18 annual budget. In previous three years of Modi government, the Abhiyan has seen an increased expenditure of Rs 2800 crore.
National GER pre and prior to launch of RUSA
The National GER prior to the launch of RUSA was 20.8 (2012), with Male GER at 22.1 and Female GER at 19.4. RUSA assistance has been critical in witnessing a growth in the GER. A substantial increase in the National GER has been recorded at 24.5, with male GER at 25.4 and female GER at 23.5 in 2015-16 (Source: AISHE 2015-16).