Rafiq Kathwari, an Indian-American poet on 29 September 2013 selected for 2013 Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Award for the collection of his debut poems.
Rafiq Kathwari is the first non-Irish person to win the Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Award. Rafiq Kathwari's collection of 20 unpublished poems In Another Country was selected for the coveted award amidst 112 contestants from across the world.
About Rafiq Kathwari
• Rafiq Kathwari, a Kashmiri by descent has become the first non-Irish to have won the award and will recieve 1000 euros as the prize money.
• He has translated selected Urdu poems of Alama Iqbal, creating his own version. His poems are mostly inspired by loss of innocence in Kashmir and from his mother's long time illness.
• Rafiq Kathwari graduated from the University of Kashmir in 1969 before studying at the New York University and Columbia University.
• Most of his working life has been spent with Ethan Allen, a large manufacturer and retailer of home furnishings based in the United States.
• Many of his works have been in print and online in the US, Ireland and Asia.
About Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Award