Former Director General of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) Rajendra Kumar Pachauri on 8 February 2016 was appointed as the Executive Vice-Chairman of the organisation with the immediate effect.
On the other hand, Ajay Mathur, former chief of Bureau of Energy Efficiency, was appointed as the Director General of TERI.
The post of Executive Vice Chairman has been recently created and Pachauri will be the first to hold the post.
About Rajendra Kumar Pachauri
• Rajendra Kumar Pachauri began his career with the Indian Railways at the Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi.
• He joined the North Carolina State University in Raleigh, USA, where he obtained an MS in Industrial Engineering in 1972, and a PhD with co-majors in Industrial Engineering and Economics in 1974.
• From August 1974 to May 1975, he served as Assistant Professor and Visiting Faculty Member (Summer 1976 and 1977) in the Department of Economics and Business at NC State.
• He was also a Visiting Professor of Resource Economics at the College of Mineral and Energy Resources, West Virginia University.
• On his return to India, he joined the Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad, as Member Senior Faculty and went on to become Director, Consulting and Applied Research Division.
• In 1982, he joined TERI as Director.
• On 20 April 2002, he was elected Chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a United Nations panel established by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
• In February 2015, a junior colleague had accused him of sexual harassment following which he had to proceed on leave but joined work in July 2015 with a court quashing the internal committee report that found him guilty of misconduct. He was removed as chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
About The Energy and Resources Institute
• The Energy and Resources Institute was established in 1974.
• It was formerly known as Tata Energy Research Institute.
• It is a research institute based in New Delhi that conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development.
• In 2013, the institute was ranked as the topmost global think-tank by the International Centre for Climate Governance (ICCG).
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Rajendra K Pachauri
Where: New Delhi
When: 8 February 2016