Safe Motherhood Week starts in Uttar Pradesh
The main aim of the 'Safe Motherhood Week' is to decrease the 'Mother Mortality Rate' (MMR) and 'Infant Mortality Rate' (IMR).
In Uttar Pradesh, the Safe Motherhood Week is being observed from 14 October to 21 October 2016. The main aim of the 'Safe Motherhood Week' is to decrease the 'Mother Mortality Rate' (MMR) and 'Infant Mortality Rate' (IMR).
At present, the MMR in the state is 258 per lakh deliveries, which is above the national average of 167. For this purpose, the state has decided to bring down the MMR to 200 till the end of 2016.
During the campaign, the expecting mothers will be provided with all necessary medical aid and assistance to the pregnant women and to ensure safe delivery in the entire state.
Highlights of Safe Motherhood Week
• The High Risk Pregnancies (HRPs) will be identified and will be provided special care.
• Under the campaign, women with anemic conditions will also be provided special care.
• As per principal secretary health and family welfare Arun Kumar Sinha nearly 50 per cent of the expecting mothers are anemic in the state which is the single largest reason for Mother Mortality.
• Under NHM, the state has decided to that in place of routine 100 iron folic tablets, 180 such tablets will be given to expecting mothers to fight anemia. Anemia is rampant in most parts of Uttar Pradesh.
• To fight calcium deficiency, a total of 720 calcium tablets will be provided to the pregnant women with 360 each before and after the delivery.
• The state will organise a special counseling and planning camp on 24 and 25 October 2016 for the women identified with HRP so that proper care can be planned for their safe delivery.
This is the second phase of the Safe Motherhood Week in the state. The first phase was conducted in January 2016, under which nearly eighteen lakh pregnant women were identified with a number of one lakh fourteen thousand HRPs.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App