Scientists have developed a new military watch for the Russian army kit, which is capable of resisting high impact and can even survive a nuclear explosion.
The watch has been developed by research experts of the Central Scientific - Research Institute for Precision Machine Engineering (TsNIITochMash) – a part of the Rostec State Corporation in Russia.
• The mechanical watch with automatic movement ensures fast and accurate time determination in severe climatic and operating conditions, during routine and combat operations.
• It has been included in the new combat system for land forces, airborne forces, coastal troops of the Russian Navy, special operations units.
• It is designed for continuous time determination.
• It is capable of withstanding solar irradiation and electromagnetic pulses such as a nuclear blast.
• It also does not hinder any manoeuvres or acts.
• The weight of the watch with a band does not exceed 100 gms.
• The device would have a service life of about 10 years.
According to Oleg Faustov, the Chief Designer of Life Support Systems for Tactical Gear at TsNIITochMash, if a soldier is exposed to electromagnetic emission of a nuclear bomb the watch will continue to operate without any interruption.
Further, the soldiers would be able to easily determine time in any light environment or even under blackout conditions.
Who: Russian Scientists