Serena Williams defeated Li Na to win the WTA Championships
Serena Williams retained the WTA Championships at Istanbul after defeating Li Na 2-6, 6-3, 6-0.
Serena Williams, the world number one tennis player on 27 October 2013 won the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships at Istanbul after defeating Li Na 2-6, 6-3, 6-0. With this win, she managed to retain the WTA Championships title with her. This was her overall seventy eighth title and eleventh title of this year.
Serena Williams with 78 wins out of 82 matches in 2013 will finish as the top ranked player after 2002 and 2009 for the third time. This is the fourth success of Serena Williams in the WTA Championships. With this win, she became the first player to retain the title after Justice Henin in 2007.
This win also made her the eighth female player, who has won 11 or more titles in a year. Martina Hingis won 12 titles in the year 1997.
About Serena Williams
• Serna Williams is the professional tennis player from America. She is ranked as number 1 player at present in the Women’s singles tennis
• For the first time she became the world’s number one player in singles in the year 2002 and in the year 2013, she regained the spot of player number 1 for sixth time
• At present she is the oldest number 1 player in WTA’s
• She was also Gold-Medalist at the 2000, 2008 and 2012 Olympics. During 2012 Olympics she won a Singles and Doubles Gold medal
• She has won a title in all four Grand Slam tournaments
• Serena was born September 26, 1981 in Saginaw, Michigan
The WTA Championships
• The WTA Championships is a tennis tournament that is played at the end of the season annually. This championship is an event for the top-ranked players on the WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) tour
• The WTA Tour Championships is considered to be the fifth most prestigious event of Women’s tour as it is placed just after the four grand slams
• The Championships was first played in 1972 and since then has been held at different venues