Stiliyan Petrov, the captain of Aston Villa retired from football in May 2013 at the age of 33 years. Stiliyan Petrov retired because of his fight with leukaemia. He was diagnosed with the disease in March 2012. Aston Villa Football Club is the English professional association football club that is based in Birmingham.
Stiliyan Petrov became a part of Aston Villa in 2006 from Celtic for 6.5 million Pound. He played for Aston Villa in the Premier League and the Bulgaria national team. He also won Bulgarian Footballer of the Year award in 2003 while playing for Celtic.
In 2005, Stiliyan Petrov also wrote the autobiography titled You Can Call Me Stan. The book was a description of the correct spelling of his name.
Honours and Awards won by Stiliyan Petrov
• Bulgarian Championship: 1997
• Bulgarian Cup: 1997, 1999
• Scottish Premier League: 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006
• Scottish Cup: 2004, 2005
• Scottish League Cup: 2000, 2006
• UEFA Cup: Runner-up 2003
• Football League Cup: Runner-up 2010
• SPFA Young Player of the Year: 2001
• Celtic Player of The Year: 2005
• Aston Villa Players' Player of the Year: 2009, 2012
• Aston Villa Supporters' Player of the Year: 2009
• SPL Player of the Month: 3 times
• Bulgaria's Player of the year: 2003
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.