Swedish Parliament elects conservative Prime Minister
The Swedish parliament on Monday elected Ulf Kristersson the conservative Moderate Party leader as the Prime Minister. Read below to know the details.
The Swedish parliament on Monday elected Ulf Kristersson the conservative Moderate Party leader as the Prime Minister. The election was held at the head of a coalition that is being supported by a once radical far-right party.
Kristersson, 59, was elected by 176-173 votes. Kristersson’s three-party coalition does not gain a majority, but in Sweden, prime ministers can govern as long as there is no parliamentary majority against them.
Who is Ulf Hjalmar Ed Kristersson?
- Ulf Hjalmar Ed Kristersson, born on December 29, 1963, is a Swedish politician and leader of the Moderate Party.
- He has also been a member of the Riksdag for Sodermanland Country since 2014.
- From 1991 to 2000, Ulf has been a member of the Riksdag for Stockholm Country.
- Kristersson has also served as the Minister for Social Security from 2010 to 2014 and Chairman of the Moderate Youth League from 1988 to 1992.
- Ulf will be succeeding Magdalena Andersson, the head of Sweden’s largest party, the Social Democrats.
- Kristersson backs Sweden’s historic bid to unite NATO following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Kristersson’s political party: All you need to know
- Ulf’s center-right coalition government consists of his party and the Liberals and the Christian Democrats, but Kristersson said it will remain in “close collaboration”, with the Sweden Democrats.
- Kristersson depends on the support of the Sweden Democrats to have a majority in Parliament, placing the party in a position to encourage government policy from the sidelines even without Cabinet seats.
- After being elected as Sweden’s new PM, Ulf made a few changes in the government. Jessika Roswall was chosen as the Minister for EU Affairs, Paulina Brandberg becomes the Minister for Gender Equality and Deputy Minister for Employment and Johan Pehrson will be the Minister for Employment and Integration.
Sweden is a Scandinavian country with hundreds of coastal islands and inland lakes, along with vast boreal forests and glaciated mountains. Its major cities, the eastern capital Stockholm and southwestern Gothenburg and Malmö, are all coastal. Stockholm has more than 50 bridges, a medieval old town, Gamla Stan, royal palaces, and museums such as the open-air Skansen. It is also built on 14 islands.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS