The Revenant director Alejandro Gonzalez was on 6 February 2016 received his second consecutive Directors Guild of America (DGA) award for best feature film at the 68th annual DGA Awards.
Previously he won the same award for the movie Birdman which went on to win three Oscars for best picture, original screenplay and director.
He has joined a select group of directors who have won the DGA trophy twice including Ang Lee, Francis Ford Coppola, Clint Eastwood, George Stevens, David Lean, Ron Howard and Joseph Mankiewicz.
Steven Spielberg is the only director to have won the DGA feature trophy three times.
The Other winners of DGA Awards
• David Nutter won the Directors Guild drama series award for the Mother’s Mercy episode.
• Chris Addison won the comedy series award for Veep for the Election Night episode.
• Dee Rees won the TV movie-miniseries award for Bessie, the biopic of pioneering blues singer Bessie Smith.
• Matthew Heineman won the documentary award for Cartel Land.
• Alex Garland won the first-time feature award for Ex Machina at the DGA Awards.
• Kenny Ortega won the children’s award for Descendants.
• Andreas Nilsson of Biscuit Filmworks won the commercials award.
• Adam Vetri won the reality TV award for Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Challenge.
About Directors Guild of America award
George Marshall, the President of the Screen Directors Guild in 1948 announced that the Guild would begin an Awards program to honor directors for their directorial achievement. The award was renamed later as the Directors Guild of America in 1960.
The awards are given on a quarterly basis, and are culminated in the presentation of the Annual Award for the Best Directorial Achievement to the winning director at the General Membership Meeting.
The DGA Award for outstanding directorial achievement in feature film has traditionally been a near perfect barometer for the best Director Academy (Oscar) award. Only seven times since the DGA Award's inception has the DGA award winner not won the Academy (Oscar) award.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.