The royal scion of Kapurthala's Ahluwalia dynasty, Tikka Shatrujit Singh on 17 March 2016 was conferred the Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour).
French ambassador to India Francois Richier bestowed the honour on Singh in a ceremony held in New Delhi.
Singh was chosen for the highest French civilian distinction in recognition of his extraordinary work in exchanging the French lifestyle and Indian culture with each other.
Who is Tikka Shatrujit Singh?
• Tikka Shatrujit Singh is the Advisor to the Chairman of multinational group Moët Hennessy-Louis Vuitton (LVMH).
• He is known as the guru of luxury.
• He is the great-grandson and heir of Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala who was a celebrated Francophile. (A Francophile is a person who has a strong affinity towards the French language, French history, French culture or French people.)
• He completed his education from Doon School and Delhi University and worked in the banking sector for 10 years.
• Later, he joined LVMH as the Chief Representative in Asia in 1995.
About National Order of the Legion of Honour
• The National Order of the Legion of Honour (Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur) is a French order established by Napoleon Bonaparte on 19 May 1802.
• The Order is the highest decoration in France and is divided into five degrees of increasing distinction: Chevalier (Knight), Officier (Officer), Commandeur (Commander), Grand Officier (Grand Officer) and Grand'Croix (Grand Cross).
• The order's motto is Honour and Fatherland.
• The Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur is France’s premier award to recognise eminent accomplishments of service to France. It is bestowed on both citizens of France as well as foreigners.
• In the past, personalities such as Pandit Ravi Shankar, Amitabh Bachchan, Manish Arora and JRD Tata were honoured with the prestigious award.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: New Delhi
When: 17 March 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.