21 February 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such World Environment Day, Second Defence Industrial Corridor and Akamai State of Internet Q4 2017 Security Report among others.
1. The second defence industrial corridor would be coming up in which Indian state?
b) Uttar Pradesh
2. The UGC has constituted a committee to look into applications from institutions for the Union Government’s Institutions of Eminence project. The committee will comprise how many members?
3. India was placed at which position in the list of targeted countries for Web Application Attacks by Akamai State of Internet Security Q4 2017 report?
4. Which state government is going to launch cheap sanitary pad scheme on International women’s day?
b) Uttar Pradesh
5. This nation, which is the seventh largest exporter of coffee, does not feature among the top 20 coffee drinking nations.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
6. UNICEF issued a blank statement to which nation, expressing its outrage at mass casualties among the children?
c) South Sudan
7. What is the theme of World Environment Day 2018
a) Beat Plastic Pollution
b) No to Plastics
c) Plastic: An Illness
d) Plastic: Damaging World
8. India recently launched Joint research projects on clean water & energy in partnership with which country?
a) United States
b) Saudi Arabia
c) United Kingdom
9. When is International Mother Language Day celebrated every year?
a) 19 February
b) 20 February
c) 21 February
d) 22 February
10. Which start-up was recognized as the Startup of the Year 2017 at the 7th Small Business Awards?
11. Who won the 2018 Rotterdam Open men’s singles tennis tournament?
a) Grigor Dimitrov
b) Roger Federer
c) David Goffin
d) Stan Wawrinka
12. Which famous Tamil actor passed away recently and was known for his film 'Rajendrudu Gajendrudu' ?
a) MG Ramachandran
b) Pradeep Kumar
c) Surya Yellapantula
d) Gunda Hanumantha Rao
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Uttar Pradesh
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on February 21, 2018 that the government would be establishing a defence industrial production corridor in Uttar Pradesh. The corridor is expected to be built at an estimated cost of Rs 20,000 crore and it is expected to generate about 250,000 jobs.
2. (a) Four
The UGC has constituted a four-member Empowered Expert Committee (EEC) to help select deserving institutions for the Union Government’s Institutions of Eminence (IoE) project, which is aimed at internationalising Indian campuses and creating world-class universities.
3. (b) Seventh
India has been placed at the seventh spot in the list of targeted countries for Web Application Attacks (WAA), according to a new report titled ‘Akamai State of the Internet Security Q4 2017’ that released on February 21, 2018.
4. (d) Maharashtra
The state government of Maharashtra would be launching its new programme, ‘Asmita Yojana’ on the occasion of the International Women’s Day on March 8, 2018 to provide cheap and subsidised sanitary pads to school girls and women.
5. (c) India
In a survey published by the International Coffee Organisation (ICO), India is not among the top 20 coffee drinking countries of the world. Finland took the top spot, consuming about 12 kg of coffee per year. Norway, Iceland and Denmark occupied the second, third and fourth spots respectively. India, which did not figure in the top 20, is the seventh largest exporter of coffee.
6. (d) Syria
UNICEF issued a blank statement on February 20, 2018 to express its outrage at mass casualties among Syrian children in the besieged enclave of Eastern Ghouta and neighboring Damascus. There were 10 empty lines with quote marks indicating missing text and an explanatory footnote, indicating its incapability to describe children’s suffering and its outrage.
7. (a) Beat Plastic Pollution
The Global Host for 2018 World Environment Day (WED) will be India. WED is celebrated every year on June 5 since 1972. The theme of 2018 World Environment Day is Beat Plastic Pollution.
8. (c) United Kingdom
The UK – India Joint research projects on ‘Water Quality Research’ and ‘Energy Demand Reduction in Built Environment’ were launched in New Delhi on February 20, 2018. The Water Quality Research programme has 8 projects and ‘Energy Demand Reduction in Built Environment’ programme has four projects.
9. (c) 21 February
The International Mother Language Day 2018 was observed across the world on February 21, 2018 with an aim to promote linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism.
10. (a) Milkbasket
Milkbasket, India’s first and largest micro-delivery platform, was recognised as ‘Startup of the Year’ 2017 at the 7th Small Business Awards held in New Delhi. The startup of the year award is dedicated to young SMEs, aged 7 years or less, with great potential to become big in local/international markets.
11. (b) Roger Federer
Roger Federer, a Swiss professional tennis player, won the 2018 Rotterdam Open men’s singles tennis tournament by defeating Grigor Dimitrov in the final by 6-2-6-2 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
12. (d) Gunda Hanumantha Rao
Noted actor Gundu Hanumantha Rao died on February 19, 2018 at his residence in Hyderabad. He was 61. Gundu Hanumantha Rao, born in Vijayawada, started his film career with "Aha Na Pellanta" in 1987 and acted in around 400 films such as "Rajendrudu Gajendrudu" and "Yamaleela".
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.