Top Current Affairs Quiz: 28 August 2019
The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as SC ruling on Article 370 petitions, new telecom leader, Tenzing Norgay awards and National Sports Day among others.
28 August 2019: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as SC ruling on Article 370 petitions, new telecom leader, Tenzing Norgay awards and National Sports Day among others.
1. Who among the following is not a part of the five-member GoM set up by the government for Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh?
a) Smriti Irani
b) Ravi Shankar Prasad
c) Jitendra Singh
d) Thawar Chand Gehlot
2. The Supreme Court has referred the Article 370 petitions for hearing to a special constitution bench. The bench will comprise how many members?
3. Who has been appointed as the new Chairperson of PMLA Appellate Tribunal?
a) Vijay Kumar Bist
b) Sanjay Karol
c) Sunil Gaur
d) Ajay Kumar Mittal
4. Which telecom company topped the telecom market with highest revenue share in the April-June quarter?
d) Vodafone Idea
5. The Indian Railways has decided to offer how much discount in its AC Chair car trains like Shatabdi, Tejas?
a) 30 percent
b) 25 percent
c) 15 percent
d) 20 percent
6. Who has become the first IPS officer to be honoured with the prestigious Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018?
a) Manikandan K
b) Prabhat Raju Koli
c) Wangchuk Sherpa
d) Aparna Kumar
7. When is the National Sports Day observed every year in India?
a) 27th August
b) 28th August
c) 29th August
d) 30th August
8. Name the India’s first woman Director General of Police (DGP) who passed away recently.
a) Kanchan Chaudhary
b) Kavita Chauhan
c) Rashmi Upadhaya
d) Ruchi Sharma
9. The Indian Institute of Petroleum recently established a plant to turn plastic waste into diesel in which city?
10. Which city will host the 14th session of the Conference of the Parties of UNCCD?
a) New Delhi
d) Kuala Lumpur
1. (a) Smriti Irani
The Union Government has constituted a 5-member Group of Ministers (GoM) to look into issues concerning the Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. The GoM will comprise Union Ministers Ravi Shankar Prasad, Jitendra Singh, Thawar Chand Gehlot, Narendra Singh Tomar and Dharmendra Pradhan.
2. (d) Five
The Supreme Court has referred cases challenging the scrapping of Article 370 to a five-judge constitution bench. Article 370 petitions will now be heard in the first week of October.
3. (c) Sunil Gaur
Sunil Gaur, the Delhi HC Judge who had rejected Chidambaram’s anticipatory bail in the INX Media case, has been appointed as the Chairperson of the PMLA Appellate Tribunal.
4. (b) Jio
Reliance Jio has topped the telecom market with a 31.7 percent market share in the second quarter (April-June) of 2019. Bharti Airtel has regained its second spot, leaving behind Vodafone Idea, the revenue of which plunged substantially.
5. (b) 25 percent
Indian Railways is set to offer up to 25 percent discount on trains such as Shatabdi Express, Tejas and Gatimaan Express, as per a senior official. The move is a result of the stiff competition faced by the Indian railways from low-cost airlines.
6. (d) Aparna Kumar
IPS Officer Aparna Kumar will be honoured with the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018 in the ‘Land adventure’ category. Aparna Kumar is a 2002 batch IPS officer from the Uttar Pradesh Cadre. She is the first IPS officer to be honoured with the prestigious Tenzing Norgay Award.
7. (b) 28th August
National Sports Day is observed every year on 29 August to mark the birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand, the legendary hockey player who was born on August 29, 1905. Dhyan Chand was one of the greatest field hockey players of all time.
8. (a) Kanchan Chaudhary
Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, the first woman Director General of Police (DGP) of India, passed away recently in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Kanchan was an IPS Officer of 1973 batch. She was appointed as India’s first women DGP in 2004 of the Uttarakhand state.
9. (b) Dehradun
Indian Institute of Petroleum recently established a plant in Dehradun, Uttarakhand to convert waste plastic into diesel. The plant has a capacity to produce around 800 litre of diesel from 1 tonne plastic.
10. (a) New Delhi
The 14th session of the Conference of the Parties (COP14) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) will take place from September 2 to 13, 2019 at the India Expo Center and Mart in New Delhi, India.