4 October 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Chanda Kochhar, First Assembly of the International Solar Alliance and 2018 Nobel Prize among others.
1. Chanda Kochhar has quit her position as the CEO and MD of this bank with immediate effect.
2. The RBI has imposed penalty worth Rs 5 crore on which Indian bank for non-compliance of certain direction?
a) State Bank of India
b) Punjab National Bank
c) Canara Bank
d) Federal Bank
3. Which bank has reduced its ATM withdrawal limit to Rs 20,000?
a) Punjab National Bank
b) Bank of India
c) State Bank of India
d) Federal Bank
4. International Court of Justice has ordered the United States to ease its sanctions on which nation?
5. Which state’s cabinet has given its approval to regularise 8886 teachers?
a) Madhya Pradesh
6. The Union Cabinet has hiked the MSP of which crops?
7. Which Under-19 player became the youngest Indian to score a Test century on debut?
a) Prithvi Shaw
b) Shikhar Dhawan
c) Cheteshwar Pujara
d) Abbas Ali Baig
8. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first Assembly of the International Solar Alliance in which city?
b) New Delhi
9. Frances H. Arnold, George P. Smith, Sir Gregory P. Winter won the 2018 Nobel Prize in which field?
10. Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi became the first person to be stripped off which honour?
a) Canadian citizenship
b) US Green Card
c) Nobel Peace Prize
d) Myanmar leadership
11. The Union Cabinet approved MoU between India and which country on bilateral cooperation in the road transport and road industry?
12. The Union Cabinet approved the implementation of Metro Rail Project comprising Ring Line of length 31.55 Km from Bengali Square to Patasia in which city?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) ICCI
The ICCI Bank CEO and MD, Chanda Kochhar quit her position with immediate effect on October 4, 2018. The announcement came after her plea for early retirement was accepted by the bank. Sandeep Bakhshi, who was appointed as the bank's COO in June 2018, has been named to succeed Kochhar as the bank’s new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
2. (d) Federal Bank
The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a penalty worth Rs 5 crore on Federal Bank for non-compliance of certain RBI directions among other deficiencies. Federal Bank had failed to report large borrower exposure for assessment under risk-based supervision. The bank had also failed to pay compensation to customers for delay in resolution of ATM related complaints.
3. (c) State Bank of India
The State Bank of India has slashed the daily withdrawal limit on its classic debit card from Rs 40,000 to Rs 20,000. There is no change in the daily withdrawal limits on other cards. The new limit will be effective from October 31, 2018.
4. (b) Iran
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ordered the US to ease sanctions it re-imposed on Iran after abandoning a nuclear deal in May. The Court ruled that the US had to remove "any impediments" to the export of humanitarian goods, including food, medicine and aviation safety equipment.
5. (c) Punjab
Punjab Cabinet on October 3, 2018 gave approval to the Cabinet Sub-committee’s recommendation to regularise services of 8886 teachers. These teachers include 7356 teachers recruited under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, 1194 under Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan and 220 teachers recruited for model schools and 116 for Adarsh schools.
6. (a) Rabi
The Union Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, CCEA, has increased the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for all Rabi crops for the current financial year which will be marketed in 2019-20 season. The MSP of wheat has been raised by 105 rupees per quintal, Barley by 30 rupees a quintal, Masur by 225 per quintal, Gram by 220 per quintal and rapeseed and mustard by 200 rupees per quintal.
7. (a) Prithvi Shaw
Prithvi Shaw made history by becoming the youngest Indian to score a Test century on debut. Shaw, at the age of 18 years and 329 days, reached the historic three-figure mark in just 99 balls against the West Indies on Day 1 of the opening Test at the Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Rajkot.
8. (b) New Delhi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 2, 2018 inaugurated the first Assembly of the International Solar Alliance at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi in the presence of the United Nations’ Secretary General Antonio Guterres.
9. (c) Chemistry
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences on October 3, 2018 awarded the 2018 Nobel Prize in Chemistry with one half to Frances H. Arnold “for the directed evolution of enzymes” and the other half jointly to George P. Smith and Sir Gregory P. Winter “for the phage display of peptides and antibodies”.
10. (a) Canadian citizenship
Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi became the first person to be stripped off the honorary Canadian citizenship over her refusal to call out atrocities by her nation's military against the Rohingya Muslim minority.
11. (b) Russia
The Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Russia on bilateral cooperation in the road transport and road industry. The MoU will be signed during the upcoming visit of Russian President to India.
12. (a) Indore
The Union Cabinet approved the implementation of Indore Metro Rail Project comprising Ring Line of length 31.55 Km from Bengali Square - Vijay Nagar - Bhawarsala - Airport - Patasia - Bengali Square.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.