Manmohan Singh, the Prime Minister of India on 2 August 2013 inaugurated two projects of PSU BHEL in Thirumayam at Puthukottai district of Tamil Nadu.
The two projects of BHEL are a High Pressure Boiler Plant Unit-II, a Greenfield Initiative and the Power Plant Piping Unit. Both would provide employment to about 8000 people.
High Pressure Boiler Plant (Unit-II) Highlights
• A Greenfield expansion project with combined capacity of 800000 metric tonnes for 20000 MW annual capacities.
• Total shop floor area of around 120000 sq.m
• Total project outlay of over 1000 crore rupees.
• Manufacture of supercritical technology boilers and components upto 1000 mw unit rating
• 5 direct and indirect employments of over 5000 persons with supporting ancillary industries
Power Plant Piping Unit highlights
• The unit is spread over 40 acres of land in Thirumayam, Pudukottai district Tamil Nadu
• Capacity of 80000 metric tonnes per annum
• Investment of 300 crore rupees with annual turnover of 2500 crore rupees
• Piping systems for thermal power plants, steam piping lines for nuclear power plants, and piping systems for process industries.
• Direct and indirect employment of around 3000 persons with support industries to contribute to overall economic development of the region.
With the operationalisation of the two units, BHEL has achieved an annual manufacturing capacity of 20000 MW.