UNESCO accorded World Heritage Site Status to Rio de Janeiro
The UNESCO announced World Heritage Status to Rio de Janeiro on 1 July 2012. Subsequently, the city administration was given four years time to report on their plans to protect landmark places.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) on 13 December 2016 accorded the World Heritage Site Status to the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro.
The city has been registered as Carioca Landscapes between Mountain and Sea on the UNESCO world heritage list.
The UNESCO announced World Heritage Status to Rio de Janeiro on 1 July 2012. Subsequently, the city administration was given four years time to report on their plans to protect landmark places such as Sugarloaf Mountain, Flamengo Park, Copacabana beach, Botanical Garden and Tijuca forest, etc.
Upon reviewing these plans, the UNESCO authorities finally approved the World Heritage Status to the city.
About Rio de Janeiro
• It is also known as Marvelous City.
• The city was founded by the Portuguese in 1565 primarily as a trade centre.
• At present, it is the second-most populous city in Brazil and the sixth-most populous city in the American Continent.
• The city hosted the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2014 FIFA World Cup.
• It also hosted the 2016 Summer Olympics and the 2016 Summer Paralympics.
• The city is better known across the world for its extraordinary fusion of man-made and natural beauty, soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest and beaches.
About UNESCO World Heritage Sites
• The UNESCO accords the ‘Heritage Site’ tag to those sites that have special cultural or physical significance.
• The World Heritage Sites List is maintained by international World Heritage Programme.
• The programme is administered by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee.
• The committee comprises of 21 UNESCO member states that are elected by the United Nations General Assembly.
• At present, Italy with 50 sites is home to the highest number of World Heritage Sites.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App