Union Cabinet approved the proposal to redevelop 400 major railway stations
The major railway stations will be redeveloped under a new a unique method of public procurement of ideas called the Swiss Challenge.
The Union Cabinet on 16 July 2015 approved the proposal to redevelop 400 major railway stations to accelerate the redevelopment of A-1 and A category railway stations across the country that are located in major cities, metros, pilgrimage centres and important tourist destinations.
A-1 category railway stations are those non-suburban stations with 50 crore rupees and above annual passenger earnings. While, A Category railway stations comprises non-suburban stations with 6 crore to 50 crore rupees annual passenger earnings.
Raipur and Bilaspur fall under A-1 category, while Raigarh, Champa, Bhilai Power House, Durg, Rajnandgaon, Gondia and Bhandara Road fall under A category railway stations.
Highlights of the Proposal
• The major railway stations will be redeveloped under a new a unique method of public procurement of ideas called the Swiss Challenge. It will encourage innovative ideas from interested parties without any additional extra cost from the Railways.
• Under this initiative, major stations will be redeveloped by leveraging real estate development of land and air space in and around the stations.
• It will include commercial development of real estate by the Zonal Railways.
• Nine stations under South East Central Railways including Raipur and Bilaspur will be redeveloped.
About Swiss Challenge
• As per this method, government agencies are required to invite bids for a public project such as a port or railways.
• The bid is invited from third parties to match or exceed or improve the existing bid.
• Finally, the original bidder gets to lower the bid or accept the new bid.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App