The Union Cabinet on 16 July 2015 approved the proposal to redevelop 400 major railway stations to accelerate the redevelopment of A-1 and A category railway stations across the country that are located in major cities, metros, pilgrimage centres and important tourist destinations.
A-1 category railway stations are those non-suburban stations with 50 crore rupees and above annual passenger earnings. While, A Category railway stations comprises non-suburban stations with 6 crore to 50 crore rupees annual passenger earnings.
Raipur and Bilaspur fall under A-1 category, while Raigarh, Champa, Bhilai Power House, Durg, Rajnandgaon, Gondia and Bhandara Road fall under A category railway stations.
Highlights of the Proposal
• The major railway stations will be redeveloped under a new a unique method of public procurement of ideas called the Swiss Challenge. It will encourage innovative ideas from interested parties without any additional extra cost from the Railways.
• Under this initiative, major stations will be redeveloped by leveraging real estate development of land and air space in and around the stations.
• It will include commercial development of real estate by the Zonal Railways.
• Nine stations under South East Central Railways including Raipur and Bilaspur will be redeveloped.
About Swiss Challenge
• As per this method, government agencies are required to invite bids for a public project such as a port or railways.
• The bid is invited from third parties to match or exceed or improve the existing bid.
• Finally, the original bidder gets to lower the bid or accept the new bid.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 16 July 2015